Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fourth of July Decorating with Bandanas

Last week I was catching up on some of my favorite blogs and came across a gorgeous patriotic tablecloth that was made entirely out of bandanas by Kendra at My Insanity - please check out the pics on her blog. For two days straight I literally could not get the idea of using those red, white and blue bandanas out of my head. So on day three I finally decided to try making some other 4th of July decorations inspired by the tablecloth.

I thought it would be fun to make a placemat using the bandanas, so I cut them up and put them back together to look like...a flag, of course!



I'm a huge fan of banners - I think they're a fun and easy way to decorate a party space. So here is my attempt at a 4th of July party banner using the bandanas...



The banner was really easy to make - here are the steps I used:
(1) cut up the bandana into four squares, (2) fold each square into a triangle and iron to get nice creases, (3) attach the triangles to a ribbon and hang.



Kendra - thanks again for inspiring me to create these projects!

15 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Love them! Especially the bandana banner. So glad I could help spark your creativity! These are great!

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Kendra - Glad you had a chance to complete your tablecloth (it looks awesome)...I wish I knew how to sew!

Kristy {the purple pug} said...

Placemat is a genius idea. LOVE it...The banner is adorable too:) Very glad I found your blog. You have some fabulous ideas:)

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Purple Pug - Thanks for stopping by! I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago and knew right away that I had to bookmark it...great stuff!!

Seven Sisters said...

bandana placemats!? how stinkin' cute are you! love it...pinned it :)
♥Jaime...sevensisters

teachermomof2 said...

Love the banner! How did you attach the bandanas to the ribbon?
thanks!

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Hi teachermomof2!
Because I don't have a clue how to sew, I instead attached the bandanas using hot glue. And a year later, the banner still looks great - it's actually hanging in my kitchen now.

Unknown said...

love your post! The flag placemat is genius and came out so nice! Definitely will share with my readers for the 4th!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing projects! I really like the flag placemat! Can you give the instructions of how you made it? Thank you :)

Unknown said...

Love the bandana banner! However when I followed your instructions by cutting and folding I did not together the same shape as yours. How did you get a pennant shape from a square?

Nancy said...

What were the measurements on the placemat pieces? I want to make one but not sure how big to cut bandanas. Thank

C.J. said...

love all of your ideas...

especially the bandana banner... but i am clueless as to how you folded a triangle from a square of the bandana... is that what you posted in your directions?

any directions would be so appreciated!! ;)

Anonymous said...

How did you fold the square into a triangle?

Anonymous said...

There’s no way to get that pennant shape from folding a square.

Anonymous said...

It's not really hard. They sell machines now with just a few stitches (I believe 10 or 12) just for beginners. You can usually get them at Walmart or Jo Ann's sometimes has them on sale for around $50 or so. Good little machines. Singer and Brother both make them.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com